Intern - Actuarial
- - Actuarial
- Hartford, CT, USA
- Paid Holiday Time; 5% Company Matching 401k Plan
Responsible for supporting the actuarial pricing and analytic functions of the organization, ensuring the business has the information and tools necessary to make informed decisions that maximize the profitability of the portfolio.
- Support the development and maintenance of rating capabilities for all assigned products / lines of business. This includes assistance with rate plan development, system requirements, testing, and rate studies.
- Assistance with the extraction, balancing, and analysis of data. Monitor data quality and completeness, and work with IT and other relevant departments to initiate improvements.
- Perform ad-hoc analytic work to support other initiatives within the organization as needed.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- Work towards achieving appropriate educational milestones for actuarial and personal development.
- Strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills, specifically with regard to interpretation of numbers.
- Ability to respond rapidly to changing work conditions and expectations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including a high standard in Excel. Exposure to programming in software such as R, SAS or Python not required, but preferred.
- Understanding of databases and data structures and their use in reporting and analyses.
- Self-starter with the ability and desire to discover problems and implement solutions.
- Ability to complete tasks and to monitor progress once implemented, ensuring processes are followed correctly.
Education and Experience:
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in Actuarial Science, Risk Management, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or a related field.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Actuarial experience in the insurance industry is preferred but not required.