Senior Underwriter - Special Risks
- UW - Specialty Casualty - UW - Specialty Casualty, Special Risks
- Middleton, WI, USA
- Full Time
- Med,Dent,Vision; Company Matching 401k; Co. Paid Life ins., STD, LTD; Open Vacation; Generous Sick and other paid leave; various bonus opportunities
Senior Commercial Underwriter– Special Risks
CT / IL / WI / NJ – Hybrid (Possible Remote)
Want to join an exciting and collaborative company that offers competitive compensation and benefits packages – including an innovative open vacation plan; generous paid sick and family bonding leave; fully vested matching 401k; Company Paid Life Insurance, Short Term & Long Term Disability plans; professional and educational growth opportunities, hybrid, flexible and casual work environment, and recognition for exceptional performance?
CapSpecialty seeks a dynamic, versatile individual to add to its experienced, team-oriented staff. A Senior Underwriter will provide advanced levels of underwriting analysis and underwrite individual risks for acceptability, pricing, coverages, terms and conditions. This will be accomplished by evaluating information and exposures based on company underwriting guidelines and standards. These individuals will manage a performance enhanced culture by actively coaching and mentoring less experienced underwriters on the team. Assist with reviewing and approving referrals escalated by other underwriters or assistant underwriters.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent.
- 5-8 years of underwriting experience in Primary Casualty and/or Excess Casualty (Supported/Unsupported) with an Excess & Surplus carrier
- Prefer candidates with existing wholesale producer relationships.
- Product development experience required.
- Completion or continuing work towards industry certification (i.e. CIC, IIA, CPCU) is preferred and encouraged.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of insurance contracts, basic accounting, risk management techniques and state regulations
- Evaluate new/renewal business referrals or requests to determine acceptability based on company underwriting guidelines and appetite.
- Establish and maintain high level of relationship management with key agency partners. Provide excellent customer service by prioritizing tasks, responding to inquiries in a timely manner and assisting with technical issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of all our product offerings, pricing and coverages. Ability to interpret and effectively communicate coverage forms and underwriting guidelines.
- Obtain new business opportunities through proactive phone calls and/or establish and maintain excellent broker rapport and make broker visits.
- Provide feedback to management on market conditions, competitor info, and broker movements thru discussions with assigned brokers and trade associations.
CapSpecialty is a leading provider of specialty insurance for small- to mid-sized businesses in the U.S., offering Commercial Property and Casualty, Professional Liability, Surety and Fidelity products in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. By working with select partners through a limited distribution model, CapSpecialty's creative, hard-working team provides personalized service and cultivates mutually successful partnerships to deliver positive results. CapSpecialty's carriers have an A ("Excellent") rating from A.M. Best, part of Alleghany Corporation (NYSE: Y). For more information please visit our website.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer